Friday 1 July 2011

Some poems from long ago

Nursery Song handed down the generations

This is a song my Granma* taught me years ago.  As it was handed down verbally it may not be 
completely correct, but here goes:

There were six little cots in the nursery
And six little children too
And every night when the light grew dark
They would all know what to do
With their nighties on they would frolic for a while,
'Til the nurse appeared unexpectedly

And she said "now children this will never do,
There's a ........ downstairs
Looking for a few
Little disobedient children
Who are awake."

Creep, Creep, can you hear him creeping
Up and down the stairs;
Sleep, Sleep, if you are not sleeping
Every babe he scares;

Hide, Hide, hide your little faces
'Neath the bedclothes white.
When I have tucked you safely in
Just say Mr Teddy Bear, Goodnight.

Bunty, otherwise known as Violet Florence Smale (nee Gasper) 1898 - 1986.





On the Garden Wall

How dare you sit up there and look so smug,
You smirking, mangy, lop-eared bit of rug?
Oh, how I'd love to shake you - and I'd try
If this disgusting wall was not so high.

I would, d'ye hear me? Don't be so absurd
And look as if you hadn't heard a word.


 Who killed the sparrow? Yah, who pinched the fish
Out of the larder and upset the dish?
(And Cook blamed me!) You green-eyed ball of silk,
Don't purr at me, I'm not your blessed milk!

Come down you coward, don't sneak off like that!
(She's gone - the other side - just like a cat!)

Said by a Jack Russell to a Cat (any sort will do)
From 'My Dog and Yours' published 1929.

No comments:

Post a Comment