Tuesday 30 August 2011

Archives

I've emailed Cornwall Records Office in Truro about stuff which I found when looking through my fathers papers. Amongst those papers, there's documentation relating to several pubs and inns in Cornwall which my family have run and owned over the past 60 years, which may be of general public interest.

Apparently Records Offices are very happy to hold documents and such like for people so long as is wanted and the documents can be reclaimed at any time.  The advantage of this system is that firstly, the documents are properly looked after and unlikely to get lost and secondly may be accessed by others.


Also I contacted the West Devon Records Office as I have copies of two wills, again relating to our family, but this time they date back to the 19th Century and are to do with members of the family who were living in Plymouth at that time.
 The will of William Darton Waddon, died 1848 Plymouth, 
my GGG Grandfather
31.8.11
I've just heard back from the Records Office and they are not interested in the wills, surprising as I thought these documents would be useful for other family history researchers.
Perhaps the policy about which I gave details (above) has changed - and if so many interesting documents are likely to be destroyed and we'll be culturally poorer for this development.

No comments:

Post a Comment